Public speaking can be a really daunting prospect for many of us. The fear that we’ll humiliate ourselves in front of a live audience is enough to make anyone sweat buckets before a live event! But if you can just make them laugh, you’ll immediately ease the tension in the room and boost your own self-confidence so that you can give a world-class talk without choking on stage.
On this podcast episode, I speak with David Nihill about how to be funnier in your public speaking, presentations, live broadcasts, YouTube videos and even on your podcast! David is an author, producer, entrepreneur and funny man from Dublin, Ireland. He is the best-selling author of “Do You Talk Funny?” and the founder of the FunnyBizz Conference.
Essential Learning Points From This Episode:
- The value of humor is that it can be used to grab and hold people’s attention
- You may not be able to overcome your fear of public speaking, but you can learn how to manage it
- Create a “happy journal” and fill it with funny content ideas that you can look back on
- Inject short personal stories into your presentation and follow up it with, “I told you that story because…” to really grab people’s attention
- Always try and put the punchline of your story at the very end of the sentence to facilitate time for laughter
- If you’re worried that a joke will fall flat, avoid telling jokes and tell a funny story instead
- Acknowledging a fail is the easiest way to overcome awkwardness and make the audience laugh
- Focus on content over delivery until you get paid to speak
- Link the start of your speech to the end and try to leave them with three key learning elements
- If you’re showing slides and images during your presentation, you need to set it up and use it alongside (or instead of) your punchline
- Much, much more!
Important Links & Mentions From this Episode:
- David’s book, “Do You Talk Funny?”
- David’s business “FunnyBizz Conference”
- Amy Cuddy’s Ted Talk
- Ken Robinson’s Ted Talk
- Rise of the Youpreneur
- Personal Branding Roadmap
- Sign-up for the FREE Youpreneur Launchpad Training Course
- Join the Youpreneur Community and Build Your Business FAST!
Thank You for Tuning In!
There are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, but you chose mine, and I’m grateful for that. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons you see at the top and bottom of this page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
Chris founded Youpreneur® in 2015. He is a serial entrepreneur, keynote speaker and author of the bestselling books “Virtual Freedom” and “Rise of the Youpreneur”. He hosts our weekly podcast, Youpreneur.FM, as well as our annual conference, the Youpreneur Summit. Chris is based in Cambridge, UK.